Painting a house is a large project which requires some planning, time and of course – money. Many people decide to do it themselves, while the others do not even think about it and decide to hire a professional house painter. If you are thinking about painting the house yourself, you may have second thoughts about it. In this article, we will give you some reasons for and against it, which will hopefully help you make the decision.
1. If you decide to do the painting job yourself, it is usually much less expensive than hiring a professional. You should pay for the material and the tools, but you do not pay for the labor. This is a good option if you have a smaller painting project in mind. But for something larger or more demanding, it may be more cost-effective to hire a professional who will do it without mistakes.
2. Although painting your home is demanding, it can be really fun. You can ask your friends and family to help you, which can turn in quite an amusing activity to do together.
3. Doing the paint job yourself provides you with complete control over the choice of colors and patterns. You can also implement your creativity and paint the walls in the most unusual ways. If you are an artist, you can go even further and create a mural or graffiti art on your wall.
1. Many aspects of house painting are demanding and require certain skills. You can paint the whole house yourself, that is true. But if you need the colors to fit the rest of the interior and be suitable for the light conditions in every room, you may want to hire a professional. Also, painting ceilings, wooden surfaces and the like is more suitable for a trained contractor.
2. While doing the paint job yourself can be cheaper because you do not pay for the labor, the cost of material and tools can be quite high. This is especially the case if you have a large painting project in mind, together with preparation, protection and cleanup. Professional house painters use their own tools and they take care of protection and cleanup.
Also, hiring a contractor guarantees you will get the result you wanted. This means you do not have to pay the contractor after you have already tried to paint the house yourself and ended up with unsatisfying result.
3. Although it can be fun, painting the house is also potentially dangerous. Falling down the ladder or inhaling harmful fumes are only some of the scenarios you can experience. Professionals are trained to work in potentially dangerous conditions, which is why you should consider hiring one.
4. Lastly, DIY paint job is rather time-consuming. When you try to fit it in with all the other daily tasks, you may end up with doing it for days or weeks. Hiring a contractor can save you from spending your time on painting. Since they will do it much faster, your home will also be suitable for living much sooner than it would if you did the paint job yourself.